Followers

Monday, February 12, 2018

Home in the Foothills


My home is in the middle, a guest house to the left, and the barn to the right.
The top of Black Mountain, shrouded in clouds, is approximately 5,000 ft
I live on a point of a ridge at 1,000 foot altitude in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. My front door faces east, and is less than 100 yards from a steep hillside.  From there to the eastern slope in Nevada, stand the rugged mountains serving as my back yard.

My parents bought this property in 1929, and still lived on this hilltop when I was born in 1944.  I was raised on a working cow/calf cattle ranch, riding horses, working cattle, feeding hay, and building and preparing fences.  When my parents finally built a new home off the ranch, I moved my wife and three sons to the home place.

My children attended the same elementary school I attended, and graduated from the same high school where I met and courted their mother.  Today, when the grandkids come to visit at Grampy and Grammy's, they run and climb on the same rocks my father bought almost 90 years ago.

I continue to raise a few cows, including the bull Mr Boo, my hereford/angus herd sire.  Keep reading my blog, and you will learn about some of them.


6 comments:

Joan Raymond said...

It must be wonderful to wake up to that view. Looking forward to learning more about your four-legged family members. :)

Pam said...

How lovely, Brent. We do live in a wonderful place.

Unknown said...

Lovely photo and intro to your stories. Love the idea of all your family's generations in that one place. Thank you! xoA

Foothill Writer said...

Yes, Joan, it IS really nice to wake to this view every morning. I was brought home from the hospital when I was born back in 1944 (old huh?) to this hilltop, and it's been my home for a very long time.

Foothill Writer said...

Yes, Pam, it sure is a lovely place. Thanks for your comment.

Foothill Writer said...

Thanks J McD. There really is something special about the time the Gill Family has lived here. We're VERY fortunate.